The Interview

Let me tell you the truth about the so-called job interview I was bragging about a week ago.

Last week, I typed in a status on my Facebook profile saying that my mom got me a job interview at some local university when I wasn't even planning on typing a resume or wasting my Plants VS Zombies time on a line waiting for a piece of paper labeled NBI clearance. I was both shocked and happy because for some reason, I felt special. No requirements and everything and the university is already dying to hire me as a Science instructor. On the day of the "interview", I dressed like a teenager who is going out on a date with her girlfriends.

My mom went with me to Taguig City University, the school she was very excited to throw me into right after I walked out of the PICC Plenary Hall. She was jumpy and everything while I kept my mouth shut. I observed everything the moment I set foot on the campus. In all fairness to our mayor who started a new dynasty in our city, TCU was quite fine. The premises are clean, everyone and everything seems to be in their proper order and the school building is very pleasant to the eye. For a second, I thought of throwing myself into it. Anyway, while I was busy eying everyone with unnecessary intensity, my mom took me to the little office right across the school building. It's the dean's office, only more chaotic and people-filled. I followed my mom while she looked for someone named Ms. Rios. Right then, I started feeling nervous and a little nauseous. I don't know if it's because people are staring at me or it's because of the extremely hot weather. Either way, nothing is helping. I was about to make a run for it when the Ms. Rios my mom was looking for appeared in front of me. She's a little woman with a big voice and presence. I felt like I lost half of my total height when she asked if I was the applicant. I nodded and told her I graduated with a BS Biology degree from the University of Santo Tomas. I could swear she wasn't expecting such an explosion. Her eyes widened in surprise. I grinned. She excused herself after giving us comfy seats. The room wasn't air-conditioned but the heat was somehow tolerable. Everything was painted white. There were folders and papers everywhere alongside young men who are trying very hard to act and appear professional and young women who are trying in their high heels to not slip on the immaculately smooth, tiled floor. I wanted to laugh but when I was about to, Ms. Rios reappeared out of nowhere which really scared the hell out of me. "You have to submit your credentials. You come back in May for the interview. Just send in any paper you have like your diploma, clearances and whatnot," she said with a smile that was very hard to read. I smiled back and told her I'll be on it. She shook hands with my mom and me after that. Then, we headed home.

Truth be told, I actually expected a real interview which was really stupid because first of all, I'm not that special to have a job interview without really doing anything and second of all, just because I graduated from a kickass school doesn't mean life will go easy on me. I felt lame after that little field trip and my mom kind of sensed it. We ate in Jollibee after that and she bought me lots of peanuts and corn, my two favorite vegetables or whatever they're called, in the nearest market. She was definitely trying to make me feel better after the "interview" and it made me happy. After all, she wasn't really trying to get rid of me.

It's been more than a week now since I told Ms. Rios that I would get my ass into arranging my credentials so that I could see her again in May for the real interview. I haven't been into it in the slightest. I haven't been a meter near a government office to get a clearance or a foot near my school to get my diploma. I'm too lazy and getting into the teaching profession seriously freaks me out. I'm not really sure why. If I were to teach in high school, I guess it'd be okay but in college where students already have their own brains and can decide whether to listen to you or just ditch you for all they care, I don't think so. I don't think I have enough patience for that. I don't know. I need more time to think.

I guess I'd sleep now. I still have to wake up early tomorrow for my summer halo-halo business.

Comments

Popular Posts