5 Reasons Why Mocha Uson's "Nun" Pictorial is a Whole New Level of Wrong

This was supposed to be a light read about the interesting things that came to my mind today while I was in a jeepney on my way home. But since someone decided to fuck up today, I'm gonna rant. Like I said, I have an opinion about everything.

WARNING: This is not something for you to read if you're already in a good mood and looking to end your day with a smile. If you're already happy for today, please don't blow it by reading this. Or do. Whatever.


So I was enjoying my petiks time after lunch earlier when I came across a tweet from one of the Pinoy YouTube stars I follow about some starlet. Apparently this model, singer and dancer by the name of Mocha Uson posed for a magazine pictorial wearing a nun's habit which she eventually stripped off while naked men groped her breasts. I didn't react at first because I didn't know the whole story and believe me, I wasn't planning to. Thanks to a friend's post on Facebook, I was able to see the entire article telling the story.

And now I rant.

Here are the 5 Reasons Why Mocha Uson's "Nun" Pictorial is a Whole New Level of Wrong.

photo from abs-cbnnews.com

  1. She used a nun's habit. I don't understand why of all pieces of female clothing, she had to wear (and eventually strip off) a nun's habit. I'm no expert but I was present in that CLE class where our teacher taught us that a nun's habit is more than just a piece of clothing. It's a symbol of complete submission to God's will. Do I have to explain why stripping it off in a pictorial with naked men groping you is downright wrong?
  2. She blew a condom. (I seriously want to weep uncontrollably after reading this from the article because it reminded me of one of the beloved toys of 90s kids like me - the plastic balloon. My childhood is now officially destroyed.) First of all, CONDOMS ARE NOT FOR BLOWING, OKAY? Secondly, HOW THE HELL DOES BLOWING A CONDOM SYMBOLIZE SAFE SEX AND SEX EDUCATION? I honestly would've appreciated it more if you portrayed a crying, pregnant teenage girl in your pictorial. That would've been more artsy and more meaningful like what you're going for. And thirdly, WHO THE HELL DOES THAT?
  3. Naked men were groping her while she was wearing 5% of a nun's habit. Stripping off a nun's habit in between two naked men is already infuriating and disgusting as it is. YOU HAD TO LET THEM GROPE YOU? AND THAT'S SUPPOSED TO RAISE AWARENESS ABOUT BREAST CANCER? GIRL, THAT'S NOT EVEN THE WAY DOCTORS CHECK FOR BREAST CANCER! Okay. Clearly people are misled, even misinformed about breast cancer. Here's the bad news - every woman is susceptible to the disease. There is practically no escape. At the end of the day, it's the way we take care of ourselves that ultimately decides whether we go down with this or not. Overall, I just don't agree to the whole idea of this symbolizing breast cancer awareness.
  4. "Kasi babae pa rin ang madre." So am I right in saying that she dressed as a nun in the pictorial to symbolize Filipino women? If that's so, WHY? OF ALL WOMEN HERE IN THE PHILIPPINES, WHY USE THE ONES WHO ARE LIVING QUIETLY AS A SYMBOL FOR BREAST CANCER? I mean, come on! If breast cancer was to break out like a frickin' dengue epidemic here in the Philippines, the nuns will be the last to catch it because they live the simplest and purest lifestyle. Need I say more?
  5. And last but definitely not the least, she totally went overboard with freedom of expression. Here's what most Filipinos don't understand about freedom - IT HAS LIMITS TOO LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE. When she said she did the pictorial to push the limits of free art expression, she totally did. Proof? This hate blog/rant from a concerned/angry/scandalized citizen. Just because "freedom of expression" has the word "free" in it doesn't mean you can go around doing anything you want without thinking about the possible repercussions. People from all walks of life and age, thanks to technology, would be able to view this spread soon. Have you even thought about the effect this would have on young readers? What about the conservative ones who are easily repulsed by anything non-traditional? Or simply the educated class who actually knows something about art and expression? This isn't me trying to make you care about what others would say. This is just me explaining that no matter what people say about what you think is art, it's still going to affect those who would be able to view it. And again, you'll never know how far the ripples of your actions and decisions go. The worst part is, this kind of "art" often gives birth to something we don't wanna leave to future generations.

I get that you have an advocacy, Mocha. Everybody actually has to have one these days to make this already effed-up world a better place. And I'm glad you do, honestly. It's just that this pictorial of yours is not something most Filipinos, myself included, would consider appropriate. This is not art and definitely not winning an award as Best Advocacy Expression as well.

May the force be with you as more blogs/vlogs of this kind swarm the web to bash you. You kinda asked for it.

I gotta go stick my face in a bucket full of ice water to cool my shit down.

Comments

  1. As humble followers of Christ, Who said "forgive seventy times seven those who have offended you", then we should still love Ms Uson as Christ loves her, we should accept her as Christ accepts her. We are all sinners in that regard. But as proud Filipino Roman Catholics who have 300 years of high Catholic culture, whose national heritage is intertwined with the dignity of the Mother Church, it is not just sinful to tolerate what she did, it is also an unpatriotic act on our part. It may not be your fault if you are not a Roman Catholic, but it is your fault if you are a Filipino who permits this kind of disrespect towards our National Dignity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uson said, "Also 'yung awareness din sa breast cancer kasi babae parin ang madre, at isa 'yon sa mga advocacy ko, to examine the breast."

    omg grabe ka mukha mocha ganun pala symbolize sayo paghumawak ang lalaki sa dibdib mo . kakahiya ka pre :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. women like Mocha Uson & Miley Cyrus are ordinary women trying their best to be known to world as WHORES of the modern era . using music as a front to cover their real motives . for GOD's sake , they can never be like Marilyn Monroe . for the great sex symbol became a sex symbol without stripping a nun's habit or going half naked in front the world . I am pretty ashamed enough that people in the Philippines can really appreciate whore singers trying to sell their images while their singing talent sucks like shit . they should be just call girls or high profile prostitutes and maybe the world will understand them much better . . . this form of girl bands wearing shorts & almost naked tops has indeed led the world to misunderstand the Philippines to be exporting beautiful prostitutes posing as singers & performers . in Mocha's band's case , well they maybe are . . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts