Dolphy for National Artist

Day 193.

Right now, I'm postponing my urgent need to take a shower for later to write this entry. This is for one of the very few people I pay colossal respect to. With this, I pay tribute.

One of the reasons why I flipped out on my mom when she let our cable get cut off is that I could no longer watch Pinoy movies on TV. It's the only way I could considering I hate searching for rare things over the internet and mind you, it's next to impossible to find good copies of old Filipino movies in torrent search engine sites. I can say it was one of the most depressing moments of my childhood but in time, I moved on. I'm just thankful that somehow I've already turned into some sort of Pinoy movie buff before our cable got disconnected. As a result, I used to be the only girl in my class in high school who can name a number of Filipino movies including the cast, the director and even recite some of the memorable lines.

Most of the local movies I've watched are comedies and for the past 22 years of my life, I've seen a lot of comedians and comediennes come and go. Different styles, different approaches on roles and different degrees of hilarity. Some of them are effective, some are not. I guess it all depends on the audience's humor. Of course one of them is bound to stand out, the comedian who has complete mastery of his craft and outshines all the others serving the same dish. The one who is worthy of the title Comedy King. For all those who think I'm funny (that right now I'm beginning to think I actually am), I'd like all of you to know that Dolphy is one of my influences.

Rodolfo Vera "Dolphy" Quizon Sr.
1928 - 2012
I didn't write this to tell you guys about the Comedy King's personal life. Wikipedia has already gotten that covered. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how to word this entry. Maybe I'll start off by saying that this man is one of those people whose passing is worth mourning over. Some people may just consider him a plain comedian, someone who makes ridiculously huge dough by appearing in movies and making people laugh. I say he's not a celebrity but a man who gave us Filipinos countless reasons to laugh despite life's harsh realities reflected in his own personal life. Dolphy's life isn't really perfect and we all know that. It's granted he had things but not really the life most people would consider ideal in terms of family and relationships. At some point, he's emotionally messed up and it takes incredible talent to radiate happiness from a place of pain. For decades, this man we call The Comedy King did not only make us laugh - HE MADE US HAPPY EVEN IF HE HAD A LOT OF REASONS TO BE SAD FOR HIMSELF. He raised Pinoy comedy from just slapstick into works of art that reflect the heart of the Filipino. If there's anyone in this godforsaken country who deserves to be National Artist, it's Dolphy.

To all those who have Twitter accounts, let's help trend #DolphyForNationalArtist. Let's jump start the campaign for this man who truly deserves the title.

TO THE ONE AND ONLY COMEDY KING: You will be dearly missed. Thank you for all the years of laughter and all the things you've given this country could be proud of. May you rest in peace. The Filipino nation loves you and will never forget you.

Comments

Popular Posts