How Resident Evil: The Final Chapter Redefined Finales and Practically Destroyed Every Zombie Movie Ever Made

A moment of silence for the masterpiece that's the Resident Evil franchise.

...
...
...

Okay. Here we go.

It all started when my dad bought Resident Evil: Nemesis for my brother for Play Station. That was the first time I saw a video game so violent and gory. My brother loved it and pulled all-nighters for it. Being the coward who didn't have the stomach for such games back then, I just sat around and watched my brother blow the brains out of every zombie he saw. Then one day, my brother was out so I had the Play Station to myself.

And the rest is history.

I went crazy over the first movie adaptation. Video City was all the rage back then, so my allowance just went to either renting movies or food. My sister shared my fascination and watching the movie together became our tradition.

Despite the excitement, we had to watch the final movie with a heavy heart last night. As my sister grabbed her boyfriend's arm for comfort, I stuffed my face with shawarma and French fries to control my sobbing during the first few scenes. When Alice finally said, "My name is Alice and this is my story—the end of my story," I just fucking lost it. I practically cried on my food.

Another moment of silence for the goddess of badassery that's Milla Jovovich.

YAAAAAS!!!

Okay. If you're a hardcore fan of the franchise, you probably already know the basics. For those who are not that hardcore, here are the important facts:
  1. Alice is the main character of the story who was a badass security operative for Umbrella until they turned on her and used her as an experiment appropriate named Project Alice.
  2. Umbrella is the all-powerful corporation that basically controls everything in the Resident Evil universe from basic utilities to advanced genetic research.
  3. The Hive is Umbrella's top secret genetic research facility located deep beneath Raccoon City where the story is set and where everything started.
  4. The Red Queen is the artificial intelligence that guards the Hive.
  5. I'm gonna stop right here because I'm gonna end up spoiling the whole franchise to those who haven't seen it yet.
So what can I say about the final movie aside from it putting me through the most emotional movie moment of my life?

It just set the bar for action movies. Period.

It definitely did drown me in heart-stopping action sequences and jump scares. It did come to a point though when it's a little difficult to watch because the scenes were set at night and the frames were as if coming from the visual field of a paranoid schizophrenic, but it was what actually set it apart from other zombie-themed movies. I mean you can't really expect the world to be sunshiny after a zombie apocalypse, right? It was as real as a zombie apocalypse can get only with super badass heroes and heroines, unlimited ammo, and genetics jargon.

For fans of the franchise, this final movie will take you for a stroll down Resident Evil memory lane with the classic scenes such as the laser hall, Alice's conversations with the Red Queen, Alice's "is that all you got" moments, Alice basically kicking human and zombie ass, and my personal favorite—the Red Queen's "you are all going to die down here" line in her lovely British accent. I shed a tear just now.

For those who have yet to see all six movies with no experience of the game, it's okay. The video game has a different plot with a different protagonist. But if by some miracle somebody comes up with a way to bring back PS1 and its games, you definitely want to experience it. It's not just a test for reflexes but also logic. My brother and I used to play it with him dealing with the monsters and me dealing with the puzzles. It was a lot of fun. And now I'm starting to tear up again with nostalgia rush.

So what's my verdict? The thumbs of all the zombies in Isaacs' undead army. Don't believe me? Just watch.

Thank you to all the talented and wonderful people behind this franchise especially to Paul W.S. Anderson, Alexander Witt, and Russell Mulcahy. You guys rock, and you will all live forever in the Raccoon City of our hearts.

P.S. I love you, Milla Jovovich. If I ever have twin daughters, I'd definitely name them Milla and Alice and teach them to kick ass like you do. Please continue making badass movies.

Comments

Popular Posts