On Passions

Day 251.

I can't sleep. I can't even get myself to think about sleeping. I hate this. It's in times like these that I end up thinking about food and spending what's left of my allowance to buy some. But not today. I'm on a diet. Well, sort of.

Last Tuesday night, I was in Glorietta with a friend from college. She asked me to come meet her and talk to her about writing. At first, I was gobsmacked at the invitation. I never thought one of my blog's readers would actually ask me out just to discuss what it's like to be a literary blogger. I've never really talked to anyone about it even my closest friends and family members because I'm afraid they're just going to laugh at how cheesy I can get when I actually refer to writing as my lifelong passion. And so I show up that night and blabbed away about writing while shoving a flame-grilled cheeseburger down my meat-deprived throat. As I told my friend the story of my humble beginnings as a word warrior, I watched the interest and excitement dance like magnificent ballerinas in her eyes. To me, it felt unbelievably good. Like I said, I've never had the chance to talk to anyone who actually cares about my writing adventures. That night, I felt like I'm in a classroom once again, teaching my students the wisdom I've earned through fighting life's battles over the years which reminded me of another thing - I do miss teaching.

Aside from making up stories that teenagers and some other hopeless romantics actually learn to love, I also do feel passionate about teaching. If it was up to me, I'd go back to school and study and maybe someday, meet my former students again in college where I'd have the perfect excuse to torment them just like how my professors tormented me back in my days. I'd love to see if my friends were right about me. They used to tell me, "You'd be the most badass professor in the world!"

Don't get me wrong. My job isn't really that bad. Actually for the first time, I feel like I'm a real employee with reasonable salary and benefits. I get back what I work hard for. Looking back, I can say that my first job as a high school teacher was just another sad and difficult chapter in my life and truth be told, I don't think it's with the profession itself. Yeah. I've said enough.

Right now, I want to do so many things. Some of them even impossible. It just sucks that I have to wait for the right moment. Damn I hate my impatience!

Before I end this blog, I'd like to thank Bonn Gutierrez for spending that wonderful evening with me. I'm sorry if this entry's kind of late. I really did appreciate your company and your eagerness to go into writing inspired me a lot. Like I told you, if you want to write, go for it. Try. It's all that it takes.

I'm still not feeling sleepy. Good luck with that.

Comments

Popular Posts