Teacher Sentiments

Okay.

This was supposed to be a World War Z review blog but since one of my students suddenly messaged me on Facebook and told me all about his plans for college, I just had to write a personal entry.

Until now, I'm still in contact with some of my students and these kids just won't get tired of updating me like a Twitter feed. I can't say I'm sick of listening to their stories because in fact, I love it. Of all the people they can talk to about how tormenting school is and how boring some of their teachers are, they thought of me, some washed-out, former high school Science teacher who's now unemployed and two drinking sessions away from being a total drunkard. It's really touching.

So I was in the middle of checking and rechecking my e-mail for a possible freelance article writing job and tweeting when one of my former students messaged me on Facebook. He asked me to like a page for him which I would've ignored if he didn't tell me what it's for. He said it's a youth organization he's put up to amplify his chances of winning the Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) elections. He's running for chairman so he could get a collegiate scholarship at a good school. Though not an advisory student of mine, my heart swelled with pride upon reading his responses. To be honest, this kid's not even one of the brain machines in my Biology classes way back. In fact, he's one of the problem students and most of my co-teachers wanted to throw his ass off a cliff. I told him I'm surprised at how he's changed since I left and he said he has to for his own future. He plans on taking up either Political Science or Nautical Engineering after graduation. As usual, I told him what I've always told my kids inside the classroom. "Kung san ka sa tingin mo magiging masaya at kaya, dun ka." I even told him to throw a badass party after he gets out of college. He sent lots of smileys and told me we're going to celebrate his college graduation at my house. I sent a smiley back and said I'm counting on it.

I just wanna say I miss exchanging stories with my students. I miss listening to them about their dreams and future plans. I miss giving my best advice at their lowest moments. I miss being a mom to them and even though I really hate how that sounds, I can say it's the best role I've played to date.

This blog goes out to all my former students assuming they didn't give up reading after the first paragraph because I know how really lazy they get when asked to read anything. HAHAHA!

Thank you for making me feel like I'm someone worth looking up to. You all know I have my flaws and I'm not exactly the teacher most conservatives would consider giving a Best Teacher Ever Award to. I tried my best and thank you for appreciating that. I just want all of you to know that I miss all of you dearly. Always give your best shot at everything and God will do the rest.

I love you all.

Till we meet again.

Comments

Popular Posts