3 Reasons Why Bag of Bones Scared the Hell Out of Me

I turn into a crazy maniac every time I pass by a book sale. It's funny because I used to find book sales revolting and that's because I believe that books are only worth-reading when they smell like they just came out of the printer and are inside a cling wrap. I don't roll that way now. As long as the letters are big enough for me to see, the author is one of my favorites and the story is interesting, no one can stop me from buying.

The book that I'm about to write a review of is not one of those books I've bought in a book sale. It came as a present from my sister who thoughtfully purchased the book out of a sale in Recto to give to me. I can still remember how I squealed like a little girl when she gave it to me. She said she'd like to contribute to my Stephen King collection. I gave her a huge bear hug.

Before we go on to the main event, here's the synopsis.
Four years after the sudden death of his wife, forty-year-old bestselling novelist Mike Noonan is still grieving. Unable to write, and plagued by vivid nightmares set at the western Maine summerhouse he calls Sara Laughs, Mike reluctantly returns to the lakeside getaway. There, he finds his beloved Yankee town held in the grip of a powerful millionaire, Max Devore, whose vindictive purpose is to take his three-year-old granddaughter, Kyra, away from her widowed young mother, Mattie. As Mike is drawn into Mattie and Kyra's struggle, as he falls in love with both of them, he is also drawn into the mystery of Sara Laughs, now the site of ghostly visitations and escalating terrors. What are the forces that have been unleashed here - and what do they want of Mike Noonan?
And now, the 3 Reasons Why Bag of Bones Scared the Hell Out of Me.

  1. It is basically a ghost story. Well, I'm not really that scared of ghosts but if you have a wildly colored imagination amplified by carefully and brilliantly stacked words by the one and only Stephen King, never expect a good night's sleep. That's exactly what happened to me in the course of reading this novel. King used really powerful words to describe the events in the story, words so freakin' compelling it made me hear voices that are not there. Seriously.
  2. It's not your ordinary small-town story of unsolved and forgotten crimes of the filthy rich. It's amazing how things are interconnected in this novel, how the sins of the old generation made the new suffer beyond all imagination. And the scary thing is, it can actually happen in real life assuming there are really vengeance-fueled spirits lurking around.
  3. And last but not the least, it's one of King's novels that's so awesomely written you feel like you're watching a movie while reading it. That's enough said.

Again, I'd like to thank my ever-beautiful sister for buying me this book. I love you so much!

I think this goes without saying but this is another must-read.

More to come, bookworms!

Comments

Popular Posts