Every Pinoy Postmortem Situation and Occam's Razor

I'm not sure if I'm in the right mind now to talk about things that are, let's face it, sensitive and have high propensity to strike people's nerves. On the other hand, I don't see other times to be better writing times for me than now.

So here it goes.

I've stayed away from social networking sites for the past few days simply because I don't wanna deal with stuff that are either screwed up, just plain infuriating or both. Those stuff, as much as I hate to say it, often happen in every Pinoy postmortem situation. In this case, the aftermath of Typhoon Yolanda.

Until the other day, I have no idea about the magnitude of Typhoon Yolanda's damage to the Visayas. Sure I know that thousands were killed and billions of properties and infrastructures were destroyed. It's just completely different when you see pictures of them. It's like watching a slideshow of a nightmare in slow motion and high definition. It's during these times that I hate social media—they take away the little ounce of positivity a pessimist like me struggles every single day to keep in her system.

Obviously, the damage is done and there's nothing we can do about it. Unfortunately, the things we are actually capable of doing, for some reason, we don't want to do. Like shutting the hell up and helping.

Let me tell you something about every Pinoy postmortem situation: this is when greedy bastards, insensitive idiots, and famewhores thrive and by that I meant politicians and basically everyone else who has either faulty or absent sympathy gene.

As someone who watches from the sidelines, I've had, heard and seen enough.

http://www.globalpost.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/gp3_full_article/photos/2013-November/philippines_typhoon_haiyan_aftermath_nov_12_2.jpg
from globalpost.com

Most people would view this as a tragedy and feel sorry for those affected. That's because most people are not Filipinos. I am a Filipino and I view this as another opportunity for us to show the world who we are as a people. Amid the rubble, damage, and hopelessness left by yet another manifestation of Mother Nature's wrath, we stand, walking with our children in tow. At the end of the day, it's all about perception. In every picture, it's either you choose to see man's irresponsibility or God's sovereignty. Whoever that reporter from CNN is was right—we have won the "privilege" to receive in our archipelago's doorstep the strongest typhoon ever recorded in human history simply because we can withstand it. And we can teach the world something while we're at it.

We Filipinos take pride on our superhuman resilience. I think it won't hurt to take pride on other things as well. In this case, Occam's razor would suggest shutting up and helping.

To all my friends and everyone else who would be able to read this, please let me know if you're interested in helping our kababayans affected by Typhoon Yolanda. Just post a comment. Let's talk, act, and make a difference.

Comments

Popular Posts