Down the Evolutionary Ladder

WARNING: This is a hate blog.

I hate it when people who don't even know me make me feel like I'm doing something wrong in my life.

My mom had this friend who she invited over for dinner one night. My mom introduced me as her eldest daughter who is an aspiring doctor and a premedical student. I'll never forget how that woman raised an eyebrow like my mom was lying to impress her. I extended my hand for a handshake and she accepted. "My son is a registered nurse. He's in Europe now," she arrogantly said while shaking my hand. It took all my strength not to reply, "I don't remember asking."

That dinner was the longest dinner of my life. My mom and I listened to her stories about how she spends a lot of money on her kids' education like she's the only one doing it. Being the nice hostess, my mom just nodded and agreed to everything she said. I kept my signature I-don't-give-a-shit face up until it's all over.

There was a point in the conversation where the visitor asked me what my plans are, so I went for my standard response—go to med school, become a doctor, and make the world a better place. I can tell by the look in her eyes that she wasn't convinced I can do it. She laughed sardonically (at least that's how I perceived it) and said, "Med school isn't easy, hija. You might want to have a plan B given your family's financial situation."

That hit a nerve.

I flashed her my best, are-you-fucking-kidding-me smile. My mom knew I was about to teach the lady a lesson, but she didn't intervene. I took a sip from my glass of water and leaned closer to her from across the table. "Tita, there's a reason why I got into the premedical program of the best medical university in the Philippines. I'm pretty sure someone out there will be dying to sponsor my medical studies in the future. I may even be able to go to Europe and practice there, even say hello to your son for you. Don't worry, Tita. Our incredible parents raised us to be intelligent so we can be rich, not the other way around. That would've been a lot of work, don't you agree?"

Her jaw dropped. I reached for my mom's hand from under the table and told her with my eyes, "This bitch doesn't deserve dinner in your house." She smiled at me like she understood.

And now I quote Will Smith in the very inspiring movie, The Pursuit of Happyness.

"Don't ever let somebody tell you you can't do something, not even me."

I understand that some people have the tendency to lecture others on how they should be running their lives. Actually, we all have that tendency. But one of the most important things that biology has taught me is that reason and control draw the line between human and beast. Humans generally don't go by instinct like animals, that's why we are given the privilege to be called the highest animal form. When instinct tells you to tell someone they're screwing up, reason gives you a hundred filters to go through before you go into word vomit.

And so, this story tells us two moral lessons: (1) some people simply haven't evolved, and (2) they have the power to drag the evolved down the evolutionary ladder by being an insufferable smartmouth.

I rest my case.

Comments

Popular Posts