Review Blog: 3 Idiots

Day 100.

Let me start this off by saying that God really is awesome. Today, He willed my watching of the movie that I have eluded for so long and because of that, I'm feeling light. He spoke to me through it - three simple words with a very powerful meaning, "All is well."

When I first heard of the movie entitled 3 Idiots, I didn't give a damn. I thought it was just another ridiculous American comedy about, well, three idiots. Don't get me wrong. I love watching American movies but most of their modern comedies are too slapstick and trying hard for my taste. So when I heard about this 3 Idiots movie, I said, "No thanks. I'd rather watch The Matrix Trilogy."

For some reason, people have been badgering me to watch it. Some of my friends who have seen it even said that I'm going to love it and they made it sound like the movie was actually made for me. So after giving up running away from all the people who really tried their very best to get me to see 3 Idiots, I finally downloaded the movie with the subtitles (because the movie was actually Indian) and watched it in my laptop.

After spending two hours and forty-three minutes of my life watching a movie I've mistaken for a stupid chick flick, here I am, shedding little tears while writing this review blog.

Basically, the movie is about three best friends and their journey through college life. Three people with three different personalities and life situations brought together by one dream - to become great engineers. Rancho, the rebel of the three, is mainly the focal point of the story. He's a queer student who challenges every established fact, principle and system that later on, he was able to gain the wrath of the center of everything that he questions, the college director. Farhan, on the other hand, is the frustrated wildlife photographer forced by his father to study engineering so their neighbors won't say anything while Raju is the struggling wanna-be engineer motivated by the burning desire to pull his godforsaken family out of misery. The twist in the story is the mysterious disappearance of Rancho after being awarded Student of the Year at graduation. Years later, the two idiots set off on a ride to find their lost best friend, kidnapping a bride (who is Rancho's college sweetheart) from her own wedding and tagging along an insufferable college classmate in the process.

The story revolves around the values of friendship, family, hopes and dreams and most importantly seeing the beauty and goodness in everything. An unforgettable, riveting and immortal Bollywood masterpiece by Rajkumar Hirani.

I just want to say I'm glad that I've watched this movie. Most people would call this cheesy because of the seemingly unnecessary MTV-ish prods but I see those as the cherry on top of a delicious ice cream cake. It shows that a friend is someone who believes in you even if the world doesn't, someone who would bend and even break rules just so you can get what he believes you deserve and most of all, someone who would go the extra mile just to be with you.

This is a sparkling cocktail of life lessons with a pinch of humor and a little drama that no book will ever perfectly word. As a matter of fact, I'm on the edge of watching it again. I would totally transfer a copy of this in my iPod.

I'm not going to force you to watch it but I'm going to tell you that if you miss it, you miss 3/4 of your life. I freakin' swear.

I guess that would be all.

All is well.

Comments

Popular Posts