Finally Growing Up

Day 158.

Today is by far the most productive day of my entire life. I came home all sweaty, smelly and teeming with the potential pathogens of the busy district but somehow, I feel fulfilled and happy. I'm finally growing up.

First off, waking up before the sun does really defines hard work. I was already inside the bathroom fifteen minutes before 5 AM after a very long debate with my subconscious who clearly wants to stay in bed and do nothing for the whole day. My day was already planned out - I was going to get my NBI clearance, go to UST to get my transcript of records and then back to Ayala Center to complete my medical tests and get my TIN card. At first I thought I was never going to complete anything since my alter ego keeps telling me that I'm better off watching movies at home while unintentionally pissing my mom off. But despite that, I was already at the LRT UN station ten minutes before 7 AM waiting for my friend who's supposed to get her NBI clearance with me. Aside from the fact that the universe conspired against her by making every road swarm with all kinds of vehicles that never seem to move at all, my friend told me she also forgot her voter's ID. To cut the story short, she decided to just go home after consulting Google about the requirements for getting a clearance from the NBI, requirements which she definitely didn't have with her. I was a little disappointed since I've always had issues with dealing with stuff by myself but at the end of the day, I just went for it. Getting an NBI clearance wasn't really as bad as what people say. With the upgraded systems and databases, the process was quite fast. The employees are funny too. Some of them even hot. Yeah I had a lot of time checking guys out and I pretty much enjoyed myself. Damn I'm so thankful mind-reading is an impossibility! Anyway, I have to go back on the 19th to claim my clearance.

At 10 AM, I was breathing the air I once breathed. Nostalgia flooded my senses as I entered the gates of my dear Alma Mater. I looked around for familiar faces and definitely saw some. I even had the chance to talk to my most feared high school teacher after eight long years. Turns out, he's teaching in UST now for the Faculty of Pharmacy which made me even more afraid and idolizing of him. I used to hold my breath during his research class back in high school and only breathe properly after he finally left the room. I'd say he's one of the most brilliant people I've ever met in my life and it was really nice, even tear-jerking, seeing him after a very long time. Not to mention inside the confines of the university I once called home. Anyway, I tried to get my TOR but the accounting office told me that I still have a balance to pay which I kind of knew about before I even went there. I was sort of hoping they won't be able to trace it and would just give me my damn TOR but we all know that's downright stupid. And so after a series of saying hi to all the people in my college I left a year ago, I went on my way to complete my journey for the day.

For some reason, my sister decided to tag along with us (I was accompanied by my cousin) to the clinic where I would complete my medical tests and to the BIR office in Ayala. Everything worked out pretty well and quickly and after battling the immaculately polluted EDSA, we finally decided to just take the FX straight home even if it means waiting forever. We did wait quite a while for passengers to arrive since the FX won't leave until it's completely filled but we made it home.

Damn I'm exhausted! Looking back into the events of the day, I remember feeling bad for myself after seeing some of my friends wearing the USTFMS all-white uniform. I thought to myself I should have been one of them carrying all those crazily heavy books around while still looking cool. I should have been a medical student like them but I guess everyone has their own gigs now. It's just that being in med school isn't mine to call a gig. I've already accepted that. I just can't help wondering what might and could have been. I believe I'm at least entitled to that.

Anyway, today is a miracle for me and I thank God for it. I'm now just a few steps away from being a full-fledged woman of the Philippine workforce and making my mom finally proud of me.

I can do this.

I should just shut up, work hard and be patient.

And most of all, pray. It's the ultimate weapon after all.

Comments

Popular Posts