My Stress-Drenched Face

Day 43.

I've never been so fucking busy in my life.

The last three days have been pretty stressful but at the same time, I find them fun and somehow fulfilling. Day 40 was the opening of the 8th Extra Curricular Activities or ECAS which in the school where I work is what they call their foundation days (not really foundation week because they only celebrate it for three days). I was assigned to be the emcee together with one of my co-teachers. Nothing really interesting except for the moment our principal splatted icing across my face after the slicing of the anniversary cake. I practically stuck my hand into the side of the cake and chased after my co-teachers who made a run for it after I got the first icing shot. I was able to get my revenge at two of my co-teachers whom I cornered near the faculty room. The kids were just everywhere laughing at their crazy teachers. It was chaos but I'm glad everybody loosened up even just for one day. After the opening, the ball games began with me as the commentator on the games and also the DJ in the dedication booth. I went home with my voice almost gone but somehow, I felt like I could get used to it.

Day 41 was the second day of ECAS and the day reserved for literary competitions. As usual, I was at the DJ's booth helping out my co-teacher. Nothing really to be stressed about during the literary contests. My third year advisee got first place for the declamation contest which made me really proud. After all the AM activities came the coronation night of the Mr. and Ms. Braillians which is a fund-raising activity of the school every year. It was like prom watching the students walk in their gorgeous gowns and crisp suits. Everyone was in their formal attire except me which I can't really care less about. For some reason, I stayed way after the program was finished to clean up the mess. Our principal even announced over the microphone that she loved me for being an active member of the logistics, stage preparation and sounds committees all at the same time. I didn't mind getting tired of doing the things everybody escapes from. At least I cared while everyone ratted away with their ridiculous excuses like they're the only ones who have the right to suffer in this world.

Yesterday was the highlight of the 8th ECAS - field demonstration day. The moment I stepped into the grounds of the school, stress broke down my head's gates. My advisees' costume have not yet arrived and their choreographer was nowhere to be found. I tried calling their trainer but there was no answer. I was already on the verge of tears when one of my close co-teachers came to comfort me and offered to help. She let me borrow her phone to call up the people I wanted to kill that time only to find out that there's no way I could reach them at the moment. The daggers from my boss's mouth mutilated what's left of my morale while I was trying to arrange program stuff with my co-emcee. After moments of depression and wanting to jump off the nearest cliff, my kids's trainers arrived with the costumes needed three hours ago. They apologized to me and all and I told them to just go to my advisees and fix them up for the field demo. The program started around 9:30 and ended past 1 PM. I had fun hosting the event because I was wearing a lapel and I felt like I was already a big time superstar host of some sort. People laughed and my boss was pleased. She was so goddamn pleased she threw me into the army grandstand last night to host the Battle of the Bands of the Philippine Army base in Fort Bonifacio. At first I thought she was just kidding but when the captain from the army she invited to judge in the field demo approached me and gave me instructions, I was dumbfounded. And so after the field demo in which my kids won second runner-up for the cheerdance category, I ran home, took a shower and dolled myself up like a rockstar. Next thing I know, I was standing on the army grandstand with a co-teacher by my side to host a bigass event. Everything went pretty well and the bands were just great. I just hope the audience were fun enough to dance around like there's no tomorrow. It was already 1 AM when my hand made contact with our front door's doorknob. For some reason, I felt like I was stoned with so much happiness. Besides the fact that I fancied all the great-looking military men in the place I just hosted in, I guess there's just so much fulfillment. I fell asleep with a ridiculously wide smile plastered across my stress-drenched face.

I've only slept for less than 8 hours but somehow, I didn't want to go back to sleep. The first thing I've thought about this morning is getting work done.

But I just changed my mind.

After this, I'm going back to a long, glorious sleep. I earned it. Six days of straight, hard work is just abusive.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts