To Unity, Peace and Harmony

Day 52.

There was one time that a co-teacher asked me, "Bakit ang hilig mo laging mag-volunteer gumawa ng trabaho ng iba?" Although a little taken aback by the emphasis he put on his question, I still answered with a little smile. "Kasi gusto ko pag ako naman yung nangailangan ng tulong, may magvo-volunteer para tulungan ako."

It's a simple philosophy that I've learned from my late dad. Do unto others what you want others to do unto you. Later on, I've learned that the quote originated from one of the immortal minds of Chinese philosophy, Confucius. I'm really glad it's one of things that my dad taught me growing up.

It just saddens me that no matter how much you offer yourself to help others in their times of need, still nobody would come to your rescue when you need it. I don't know. Maybe it's just that the world has turned into a big chaotic sphere of indifference that everyone just decided to just look out for themselves and for those they are biologically programmed to love and care for. No more feelings of compassion and everything in between. Most people would say that I'm being cheesy about this thing. I'd say I'm just telling the fucking truth.

This is not me trying to tell the world that I'm utterly selfless. This is just me telling the world that we are all living in the same goddamn place and regardless of status, we are all in this together. This godforsaken earth that we're living in right now is not in need of awesomely intelligent men and women who will be able to concoct the cure for cancer or extremely fearless soldiers who will be able to defend us against the extraterrestrials that we imagine to be existing in a far away star. All our screwed-up world needs is a vast population of people who give a shit, people who are sensitive enough not only to their own needs but also to the needs of others. I'm not saying that we should always stick our noses into everyone else's business all the time. What I'm trying to say is that we just need to care.

Humans are designed to live a life of their own but at the end of the day, we still need one another to survive. If everyone gave a damn, then nobody would have to die an unnecessary death.

Damn. This can be an inspirational speech for some United Nations conference of some sort. But kidding aside, I really meant what I just wrote.

To unity, peace and harmony.

Comments

Popular Posts